$11.65 million in total research awards from FY20 to FY22.
Center Affiliates: 20 Faculty Members & 34 Students
SUPPORTED BY THE COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES, ANDREW YOUNG SCHOOL OF POLICY STUDIES, & SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
Interdisciplinary Research Center
The Center focuses on perpetrators and/or victims of interpersonal violence and addresses the causes, effects, treatment, and prevention of all types of violence, including (but not limited to) domestic violence, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual assault, physical child abuse, and violent crime.
Research on the Rise
The Center facilitates cross-disciplinary research via its network of scholars who communicate regularly and with a shared vision and goal. Because of this network, over the past three years, collaborations among CRIV faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and/or students resulted in 9 external grants that were funded (total costs: $11,650,000) and 76 papers published in peer-reviewed journals.
What Are the Advantages of Interdisciplinary Studies?
Interdisciplinary collaboration draws from two or more academic disciplines to facilitate discourse, generate innovative new scholarship, and support the training of new scholars in the field. The Center’s interdisciplinary focus has promoted programming to achieve these aims in a variety of ways, including (1) A Distinguished Speaker Series [https://violence.gsu.edu/distinguished-speaker-series/] which features nationally recognized scholars, (2) a small grants program [https://violence.gsu.edu/seed-grant/] that supports innovative research ideas with a high potential to make a significant scientific or community impact, and (3) a Student Seminar Series [https://violence.gsu.edu/student-seminar-series/] led by Center faculty which exposes students to a range of interdisciplinary research on interpersonal violence.
- Mercy Care
- American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children
- Project Healthy Grandparents
- Atlanta Police Department’s Atlanta Police Leadership Initiative
- CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control Scientific Advisory Board
- National Alliance Home Visiting Model Alliance
- Gwinnett County Health Department
- Injury Prevention Research Center at Emory – Violence Prevention Task Force
- Georgia Commission on Family Violence
- Georgia Department of Public Health Injury Prevention Program
- Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence